Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hitting the Restart Button




Okay kids let's try this again. Mr. Clay and I have both been lamenting the lack of activity here so we are starting things up again. I could sit here and list the litany of excuses for not keeping up with this, but they would just be excuses and nothing more. So I have rededicated myself to making this mutha work.
We are still going to talk about lunches that we have, though there will likely be more individual posts as our travel for work is now in full swing. Also, we now travel independently instead of in pairs (thanks economic downturn), so Clay and I will not have opportunities to scour the US for out-of-the-way, hole-in-the-wall places together.

I decided to (re)start the blog with a recent two-day trip to Maine. Maine is one of my favorite places in the world, and I haven't been there since I was a kid. Since I had the time and Portland is not hard to get around (really, all the locals will tell you anywhere is "about 15-20 minutes from here"), I headed downtown for dinner. I read a review of a seafood place and wanted to eat there, but it is either no longer in operation or I simply couldn't find it. I ended up at a little place on the central square (right across the street from the statue) called David's Restaurant, and I couldn't have been happier to have punted on my dinner plans.

David's is a great little place with a friendly and knowledgeable staff. They have a full bar and a menu that ranges from brick oven pizza (that looked and smelled fantastic) to steaks and some really interesting seafood dishes. They also have low-key live music to set the atmosphere. The lighting and atmosphere are such that you could go there for a special occassion (anniversary, birthday) or simply hit it after work for some appetizers and drinks. It's the Swiss Army knife of restaurants; I love places like this.
Before ordering I asked for a Shipyard Export on draft. It was much needed after a 7-hour Sunday travel itenerary. As I scoured the menu I noticed that they had one of my favorite things in the world on the appetizer menu, steamed mussels! Fresh off the boat that day! There was also an appetizer of lobster cakes. Basically it was a crab cake with lobster (and an interesting twist to be explained in a moment). So I decided on two appetizers and a salad for dinner. I'm no slave to menu categories.

The salad seemed to be individually prepared and not simply sitting in a large tub, but I had already formed a favorable opinion of David's so this is likely untrue. It wouldn't make restaurant business sense to indiviudally prepare a salad but whatever. The blue cheese dressing was excellent. It wasn't homemade, but it was definitely doctored up. I was a fan. Very fresh and not over or under dressed. I also ordered a second Shipyard.

Then the real deal came. First, the lobser cakes. They were awesome. They had everything that a great crab cake has but with lobster and an interesting twist. As a binding agent they used mashed sweet potato. Truly inspired. They were well seasoned, and cooked perfectly with a nice crust on both sides. The sweetness of the lobster paired with the potato was genius. They were plated on a tomato sauce which was good, but I might have gone with something else. Maybe a spicy or savory sauce to offset the sweetness of the lobster and potato. The cakes were undeniable.

Before I start on describing the mussels, let me say this. Denise's in Russell Square has the greatest mussels ever. I will not argue this; there really is no point. That said, David's represented itself well and brought its A game this Sunday evening. As you can see, it was a generous portion with lots of garlic slices and pieces of chorrizo sausage which gave everything a small amount of heat. These were excellent (though different from my favorites), and I will order them again when I return later this year. They were sweet, meaty, and utterly delicious. My only complaint would be that there was neither enough broth nor enough grilled bread for the broth a bit more of both would have truly set this meal over the top.

When the check came I was pleasantly surprized. I felt like I got what I paid for. I got an excellent meal in a wonderful atmosphere around some really friendly people who care about serving great, fresh food at a fair price. I decided I would definitely be back and I did go back...the next night. But that will be for the next post to come tonight or tomorrow. David's is yet another reason I love Portland, ME. I love everything about this place, except the winter. It was a cold walk back to the car. Until later, and not later as in almost a year.
BKoM

No comments: