Saturday, August 30, 2008

A bit about taste...in music


I have, like most people in the modern era, a fairly open mind to different music. I once won a bet watching an NBA pre-game show in which Yao Ming was shown listening to his i-pod in the how much would you play game. I out bid by saying I would pay $125 to listen to a 7'5" Chinese NBA player's i-pod on shuffle for 30 minutes. I really would do it.

Anyhoo, one of my all-time favourite bands is The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I remember hearing them for the first time. Sadly, it was the pre-internet days and on a Chuck Taylor All-Star anniversary commercial for Converse (Happy Birthday, Chuck!). Since then, I have been a devoted fan of the boys from Mass. When I got my new i-pod a few months ago, I was updating my play list and there was a notice. "Others who bought this song also liked Reel Big Fish."

Fine. Sure they did. I am trying to move into a new place, update my i-tunes, and prove myself in a new job. You are obviously trying to sell me some schlock that isn't moving fast enough. Bastards. I immediately forgot the name and experience.

Then, today I was cruising around youtube and typed in the band who shall only be referred to as Bosstones, and who pops up in the margin but Reel Big Fish. It all came flashing into my head like a Christopher Walken plug in scene in Brainstorm. They...are...a...great...Ska...band! End of story. No argument. Nothing to discuss. Bosstones are still my favourite, but these guys effing kill. Love 'em. Even my wife likes them, and she is not a ska fan.

I hope that Mr. Clay will post on his recent outings soon including his trip to a little place I like to call the Tom Petty concert last week! Brilliant. Off to listen to more of the Fish.

No comments: