Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dad got a new car

So the outcome of my brother's accident is that he is without a car for a bit.  I offered mine to him and I could use the 9,046 free days from all my rental car points.  Shit. I lose all but 5 days on midnight of New Year anyway.  But my dad swooped in and solved the issue.

He's so clutch, my dad. All of us, his sons, have had very contentious relationships with him at times.  Still, he has always stepped up when times were tough. And here's the thing, Dad has been saying for 4 years that he wanted a different car.   The car is reliable but older.  So he decided, in some sort of 5-step trade off, to let my brother take this older but reliable vehicle.  Now at this point in the story, if you've, been paying attention, means that my father went and got a new car today.  As you might imagine, I have some vivid images of how this went down.

More importantly, I talked to my dad on the phone for a long time last night.  He had a plan, a back-up plan, and an abort-operations plan. I was the second in that list of Operation Taking Dad to the Dealership to Get a Car (OTDDGCE).  My brother, being that he was the one directly involved in this motor coach exchange, went with him.

Now this is the brother closest to me in age, so I am getting updates on the status of OTDDGCE.  The images are fierce. They make me question everything I assume about reality.  I pictured the experience on the phone last night in anticipation of being the one to go with him.  It made me laugh out loud thinking of it, and his descriptions today matched the images of my anticipation..

Long story short, the salesman who approached my father thinking this was going to be easy after telling the guy "Yes, you can help me, I need a car and I know what I want". Had no idea that those words were nothing but truthful bait.  Yes, he did need the car, knew exactly what he wanted and was going to drive said car off the lot.  BUT, that didn't mean he was going to make it easy on the guy.  That poor son-of-a-bitch had no idea that this was going to make him reconsider career paths.

My dad has yet to call, so I am waiting in anticipation of the wonderful recounting from his side of the experience.  Then I will have something to write about.  As of now, all I have to go on is only half the story.  UPDATE: Dad got a Passat.




No comments: