Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dumpdate II: Son of Dumpdate

Dearest Readers,

For reasons only known by those who cruise the internets, the original Dumpdate post proved most popular.  So in the spirit of knowing thine audience, I give you Dumpdate II:  Son of Dumpdate.  For those never exposed to the original, Dumpdate is simply my way of getting random thoughts, opinions and updates of current events in a life not all that interesting to the strangers and friends who read this little outpost of the universe.  A mind dump/update.  Thus, Dumpdate.

This has been a curious few weeks, dear readers.  The days have been filled with travel, danger, and intrigue. I have been to San Jose, Anaheim, Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans and Madison, WI in the last 4 weeks.  I still have a pending trip to Calgary/Banff to come.  I suppose when you lead this type of life, it's not uncommon for people at security checkpoints, even in one of the busiest airports in the world, to recognize a regular.  When it gets to the point that they know me by name, then I have snatched the pebble from the master's hand and it will be time for me to go.  Until then, well, I'll just stay the course.

Here's an early morning drive to the airport on a random Sunday.  This was actually a great trip to New Orleans.  When I arrived in LA, the rain was coming down in buckets.  It reminded me of Angel Heart.  A great bad movie.
As you can see, the weather was decidedly better from the departure point.  I must admit that this has started to become a most lonely existence.  Relationships carry certain expectations regardless of what you tell people up front.  They are never prepared for the reality and fall away like Prufrock's hair.  I don't believe that these people have any insidious intent; they simply can't grasp the reality of what this type of life holds and so they fall by the wayside.

Right now I have an old Jack Benny Show episode on in the background and a very young Robert Goulet is crooning on this cloudy,Saturday morning.  Somehow this puts me oddly at ease.  I'm not sure why.  I do know that Benny is one of the forgotten greats of comedy and is the master of the unstated.  His facial expressions often are the punchline.  True comic genius.

I have learned a great deal from my life on the road these last 6ish years.  For example, I can pack a bag like nobody's business.  My sense of timing for jumping out of the path of an oncoming disabled cart at the airport is nothing short of breathtaking. I fear no food.  And occasionally I get to see some pretty impressive things at 37,000 feet above the earth that take my breath away and remind me of how small I am in the bigger scheme of things.  Like this:
Pretty cool, hunh?

So I got a new job in late September. Details to come. Just know that "fast track", "call center" and "expense report for Gary, IN" will be prominently involved.

As always,
Your humble servant
BKoM

No comments: