Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cradle of Democracy

Hello Dearest Readers,

As the title might erroneously imply, I was neither in Athens nor Rome.  This week I was in the Washington DC metro area.  To be slightly more specific, I was in Silver Spring, Maryland and Manassas, Virginia.  Overall this trip was really good.  The weather was unseasonably warm, almost 80 degrees one day.  This was the first time I've been and the weather wasn't completely shitty.

Normally on trips to this particular area, I am either subjected to torrential downpours or near blizzard like conditions.  Not this time, dearest readers.  The weather gods took mercy on me.  Likely they looked down upon me, realized how difficult this year has been, and saw that this was my last trip of the calendar year 2012.  They then looked around the weather gods' conference room table and said "Nah, let's not fuck with him this time around.  We'll just double down on one of his trips next year."

In Silver Spring I ate an Irish pub near the hotel and got, what else, fish and chips.  Here is the little guy:

The fish batter was great.  Really light and seasoned perfectly while the fish itself was obviously fresh.  Really great piece of fried fish, friends.  The chips were average at best.  Even the addition of malt vinegar and some ketchup didn't pull them above marginal status.

Also near the hotel is a huge shopping district.  I had to walk through said consumer paradise to get to and from my fish platter.  One of the attractions in this bastion of capitalism is an outdoor ice rink which you can see here:

I realize it is now December and the holiday season is upon us, but it was 75 degrees when I took this photo and people are dressed like it's 30.  Whatever.

Finally, I got in the underground to get to my gate at the airport.  I intentionally took the front car of the tram so that I could get a good look at the tunnel.  I love traveling on underground trains for some reason.  This one is very smooth, efficient and clean.  Here's my view:

When I got to the gate, I was told I had been upgraded to first class.  Two drinks, finished my book, took a short nap and arrived home a half hour early.  This was a great way to end the year of travel.  The coming days I'll begin posting on the holidays starting with a gag gift exchange party I'm going to this evening.  I'll give you the rundown of some of the ridiculous gifts including the one I am bestowing on some poor sucker.  Also a divorce update post is probably in order.

As always,
Your humblest of servants
BKoM

No comments: